Welcome!

If you're visiting for the first time, start here.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cymbeline 2.v

SCENE V.
Rome. Another room in PHILARIO'S house

Enter POSTHUMUS


[This first question will be much stronger if it's not rhetorical. How CAN we get women out of our lives?]
POSTHUMUS. Is there no way for men to [] be [be conceived], but women
Must be half-workers?

[Action: reject everyone (as base)]

We are all bastards,

[Action: blame]

And that most venerable man which I
Did call my father was I know not where
When I was stamp'd. Some coiner with his tools
Made me a counterfeit;


[Action: wonder]

yet my mother seem'd
The Dian of that time. So doth my wife
The [] nonpareil [one without equal] of this.


[Action: EXPLODE]

O, vengeance, vengeance!

[Action: rail at injustice]

Me of my lawful pleasure she restrain'd,
And pray'd me oft forbearance; did it with
A pudency so rosy, the sweet view on't
Might well have warm'd old Saturn;


[there was a phrase: "cold as old Saturn"]


[Action: name the crimes against you]

that I thought her
As chaste as unsunn'd snow. O, all the devils!
This [] yellow [cynical?] Iachimo in an hour -- was't not?
Or less! -- at first? Perchance he spoke not, but,
Like a full-acorn'd boar, a German one,
Cried 'O!' and mounted; found no opposition
{ But what he look'd for should oppose and she
Should from encounter guard.}

{this may refer to her hyman, in which case, she's a virgin}


[Action: Explode]

Could I find out
The woman's part in me!


[Action: prove]

For there's no [] motion [impulse]
That tends to vice in man but I affirm
It is the woman's part. Be it lying, note it,
The woman's; flattering, hers; deceiving, hers;
Lust and rank thoughts, hers, hers; revenges, hers;
Ambitions, covetings, [] change of prides [fickleness in excesses], disdain,
[] Nice [wanton] longing, slanders, mutability,
All faults that man may name, nay, that hell knows,
Why, hers, in part or all; but rather all;
For even to vice
They are not constant, but are changing still
One vice but of a minute old for one
Not half so old as that.


[Action: vow]
I'll write against them,
Detest them, curse them.


[Action: let them stew in their own juices]
Yet 'tis [] greater skill [more just, more reasonable]
In a true hate to pray they have their will:
The very devils cannot plague them better. Exit

No comments: