Welcome!

If you're visiting for the first time, start here.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cymbeline 3.ii

SCENE II.
Britain. Another room in CYMBELINE'S palace

Enter PISANIO reading of a letter

PISANIO. How? of adultery? Wherefore write you not
What monsters her accuse? Leonatus!
O master, what a strange infection
Is fall'n into thy ear! What false Italian --
As poisonous-tongu'd as handed -- hath prevail'd
On thy too ready hearing? Disloyal? No.
She's punish'd for her truth, and undergoes,
More goddess-like than wife-like, such assaults
As would take in some [] virtue [virtuous people]. O my master!
Thy mind to her is now as low as were
Thy fortunes. How? that I should murder her?
Upon the love, and truth, and vows, which I
Have made to thy command? I, her? Her blood?
If it be so to do good service, never
Let me be counted serviceable. How look I
That I should seem to lack humanity
So much as this fact comes to? [Reads] 'Do't. The letter
That I have sent her, by her own command
Shall give thee opportunity.' O damn'd paper,
Black as the ink that's on thee! Senseless bauble,
Art thou a [] fedary [accomplice] for this act, and look'st
So virgin-like [] without [on the outside]? Lo, here she comes.

Enter IMOGEN

I [] am ignorant [will feign ignorance] in what I am commanded.
IMOGEN. How now, Pisanio!
PISANIO. Madam, here is a letter from my lord.
IMOGEN. Who? thy lord? That is my lord -- Leonatus?
O, learn'd indeed were that astronomer
That knew the stars as I his [] characters [letters in his handwriting] --
He'd lay the future open. You good gods,
Let what is here contain'd relish of love,
Of my lord's health, of his content; yet not
That we two are asunder -- let that grieve him!
Some griefs are med'cinable; that is one of them,
For it doth physic love -- of his content,
All but in that. Good [] wax [wax seal on the letter], thy leave. Blest be
You bees that make these [] locks of counsel [seals for confidential matters]! Lovers
And men in [] dangerous bonds [bound by risky contracts] [] pray [pray treat] not alike;
Though forfeiters you cast in prison, yet
You [] clasp young Cupid's tables. [fasten love letters] Good news, gods!
[Reads]
'Justice and your father's wrath, should he take me in his dominion, could not be so cruel to me [] as [but that] you, O the dearest of creatures, would even renew me with your eyes. Take notice that I am in Cambria, at Milford Haven. What your own love will out of this [] advise you [advise you to do], [] follow [act upon]. So he wishes you all happiness that remains loyal to his vow, and [he wishes] your increasing in love
LEONATUS POSTHUMUS.'

O for a horse with wings! Hear'st thou, Pisanio?
He is at Milford Haven. Read, and tell me
How far 'tis thither. If one of [] mean [triffling] affairs
May plod it in a week, why may not I
Glide thither in a day? Then, true Pisanio-
Who long'st like me to see thy lord, who long'st --
O, let me [] 'bate [abate, calm down]! -- but not like me, yet long'st,
But in a fainter kind -- O, not like me,
For mine's beyond beyond! -- say, and speak [] thick [quickly] --
Love's counsellor should fill the [] bores of hearing [ears]
To th' smothering of the sense -- how far it is
To this same blessed Milford. And by th' way
Tell me how Wales was made so happy as
T' inherit such a haven. But first of all,
How we may steal from hence; and for the gap
That we shall make in time from our hence-going
And our return, to excuse. But first, how get hence.
Why should excuse be born [] or ere begot [before it is made necessary by what we do]?
We'll talk of that hereafter. Prithee speak,
How many score of miles may we well ride
'Twixt hour and hour?
PISANIO. One score 'twixt sun and sun,
Madam, 's enough for you, and too much too.
IMOGEN. Why, one that rode to's execution, man,
Could never go so slow. I have heard of riding wagers
Where horses have been nimbler than the sands
That run i' th' clock's behalf. But this is fool'ry.
Go bid my woman feign a sickness; say
She'll home to her father; and provide me presently
A riding suit, no costlier than would fit
A [] franklin's [small landowner's] huswife [housewife -- pronounced "hussif"].
PISANIO. Madam, [] you're best [you had better] consider.
IMOGEN. { I see before me, man. Nor here, nor here,
Nor what ensues, but have a fog in them
That I cannot look through. }


{I can see what I'm about to do, not anything else or what will come...}

Away, I prithee;
Do as I bid thee. There's no more to say;
Accessible is none but Milford way. Exeunt

No comments: